Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Our Magic Number is One!

Ten years ago when my son came home from his first day in kindergarten I asked him how things had gone. "Terrible," he announced. Naturally I wanted to get to the bottom of this so I asked him why things had gone poorly. He looked at me and said, "there are 3 boys and like a thousand girls."

That was 10 years ago and now, as a HS freshmen, I'm sure my son would relish those odds. Naturally, he had exaggerated, but at that stage of his life he was simply overwhelmed by the numbers.

When our HS principal posting expired, I was delighted to see that we had over 60 applicants. Our posting attracted candidates from all over the United States - from North Carolina to California and from Florida to Minnesota. I was somewhat overwhelmed by the fact that there are people all over the country who want to lead Saline High School. However, the number of applicants is irrelevant. You see, the purpose of our principal search is not to find applicants, but to find that one unique individual who possesses an appreciation and understanding of the culture, history, and traditions of Saline High School with the experience and ability to create an atmosphere of continuous  improvement.

Our magic number is one!

No comments:

Post a Comment