Sunday, September 2, 2012

To The Moon And Back


When our children were little, my wife and I would read to them each night at bedtime. One of our favorite books to read was Sam McBratney's, "Guess How Much I Love You." As the book ends, Big Nutbrown Hare whispers, "I love you to the moon and back" as Little Nutbrown Hare drifts off to sleep.

It seems like just yesterday that we watched our daughter walk down the street and disappear up the stairs of the bus on her first day of kindergarten. Recently that very same daughter showed us her senior photo proofs. Like parents everywhere, we have watched her grow from a cute little girl into a beautiful young woman. This Tuesday she and more than 500 classmates will begin their senior year of high school. Through the years we have helped with homework, watched class plays, attended concerts, attended parent-teacher conferences and watched her compete athletically. Much has changed through the years and no doubt much will change in the years to come.

As a senior, we no longer tuck our daughter into bed each night. However, whether she knows it or not, each night I walk by her door and think to myself, yes, I still love you to the moon and back.

Good luck to all seniors in the class of 2013 - I hope this year is everything you hope it to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment